St Machar's Ranfurly Church.
Built in Early Gothic style and completed in 1878, it started as a Missionary Church and was known as the Chapel of Ease. In 1887 it was given the blessing of Edinburgh to become a Parish Church.
During his period of ministry (1899 -
The gallery at the back of the Church was added in 1896 and the brick -
Entering the Church by the left, we first see the beautiful stained glass windows which are described in detail in a small book compiled by Maurice Gaine. A plaque on the left wall gives the names of all past ministers of both St Machar's and Ranfurly Churches. We then reach the pulpit of carved oak given to the Church in 1901.
In the chancel, the communion table and chairs are from Ranfurly Church. After the union of the Churches the original St. M~char's table and chairs were gifted to the Gordon Highlanders whose garrison chapel in Chester is also named St Machar's. The plaque above the table is a thank you from the Gordon Highlanders.
The chancel lamp is a replica of a helm of the Crusaders showing the Cross of Malta in red from the inner light. We also have some beautiful silver which is used at Communion and is thought to be very old.
A harmonium was installed in 1882 and was changed to a pipe organ when the Chancel was built in 1910. Due to wear and tear, this was replaced by an electronic organ in 1972 but the original pipes and casing are intact.
The original font was dedicated in 1901 and was a stand with a silver bowl. In 1952 the present font was gifted to celebrate the Coronation, this was made by disabled ex-
The war memorials are to those who died in two World Wars, the wooden memorial for members of St Machar's and the bronze for Ranfurly Church.
The red velvet cushions were given by the tea ladies. The pew bibles were gifts in 1980 and 1981. All the hymn books were given by the Guild and by individual members. The pulpit and lectern falls were specially made by the Guild to commemorate their centenary. On the wall on the way back up the aisle is a large cross erected in memory of the first minister to serve Ranfurly Church, Adam Wilson 1890 -
Under the balcony is a framed tapestry of the Last Supper, sewn by a group of ladies and presented to Ranfurly Church.
On leaving the Church grounds, you will go through the teak lychgate erected in 1936 in memory of the Rev. A.M. Shand who was minister of St Machar's from 1899 -
St Machar's Web Site : www.stmacharsranfurlychurch.org.uk