Bridge of Weir
The name 'Bridge of Weir' first appears in the records of Kilbarchan Parish in 1707 when the village was little more than a few cottages set beside a corn mill on the banks of the River Gryffe and owned by the Knox family of Ranfurly. History prior to that date is some-
By the eighteenth century, the industrial revolution was impacting on Bridge of Weir and the cotton industry became an important source of work. It saw the building of the Gryffe mill in 1793 by John Freeland, and later Crosslee mill, the largest mill on the Gryffe employing some 300 people. At its height, the cotton mills around Bridge of Weir employed over 700 people.
Around 1770, the Spiers family established the leather tanning industry at Burngill. This was taken-
Equally important to the development of Bridge of Weir was the coming of the railway in 1864. This made the village a desirable place for business people to live and commute to the city of Glasgow and led to the building of many fine examples of Scots architecture. A Walk along Golf Road is evidence of this.
Today, Bridge of Weir offers all the trappings of modem life with a good range of shopping, local garages, banks, building societies and estate agents. Leisure activities for all ages are available through, golf, fishing, scouting, guiding, church youth groups, aerobic classes, football, badminton, embroiderers guild, elderly forum, the old age pensioners association and the Royal British Legion. These, together with excellent schooling and local medical services ensures that Bridge of Weir retains its famed community spirit and makes it one of Scotland's most sought after locations for new-